Monday, August 1, 2011

Paddle to Swinomish

The week of July 25-30 was spent at Canoe Journey for the Paddle to Swinomish. People from Alaska to Mexico, Australia to Maryland came out to join in the amazing time of cultural sharing and revitalization known as Canoe Journey. I arrived just as the canoes were pulling onto shore in droves in the pouring rain, coming into the inlet in groups of three to five and waiting to be invited into Swinomish before being assisted by the community up the sandy hill. Nights were spent sharing stories at a freshly created firepit at the NW Indian College along with the California Indian Storytellers Association.

The experience was truly awe-inspiring. So many people from all over coming together in the right way to share of each others company, culture, and hospitality. I learned a great deal about myself just from listening to the stories that the elders shared, and met many amazing people. Next year's journey is headed to Squaxin Island just outside my hometown, and I am definitely going to make sure I can make it out there as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment